Monday, April 21, 2014

No more Amazon gift cards...

My sincere apologies to those of you who've enjoyed winning Amazon gift cards in the past, but I will no longer be offering those as prizes. You see, Amazon pulled nine of my sixteen 5-star reviews from Behind a Texas Badge because I gave away gift cards, and they see that as me buying reviews. I don't even ask you to use the card to buy the book, much less ask you to leave a review in return, but that doesn't matter to them. They have the power to remove them (and removed more after I complained), and there's nothing I, as an author, can do about it.

I wish Google Play was a bigger player in the market, but so far I've sold exactly one book there, so they aren't going to be an Amazon competitor anytime soon. B&N sales are increasing, but not enough to make up for the sales I'll lose due to the lack of reviews and the inability to advertise because most sites require at least 10 reviews.

Am I angry? Yes. Frustrated? Yes. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope, not a thing. It's like dealing with the government. All the power is in the hands of people who couldn't care less about me, or you.

7 comments:

RP Dahlke said...

HI Tori, I saw this linked to another author's post on Google+--six degrees of Separation!

Thanks for sharing this. I too have gifted cards, but not recently. I still think Amazon is now run by 14 yr olds!
Now to find other ways to thank reviewers.

RP Dahlke said...

thanks for sharing with us, Tori. I am beginning to think that Amazon is now run by 14 yr olds. Now to find other ways to thank reviewers. I do have some reviewers at my home page, under Author Resources--if that would help!

Bestseller$

Tori Scott said...

Thanks RP!

Unknown said...

Amazon need more competition I agree ...I have that they're are the only major book movers..but just like Kmart...sooner or later Amazon will meet their Wal-Mart..good luck.

Unknown said...

Have in my above blog should have been hate

Tori Scott said...

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate Amazon for the fact that I'm making a living selling my books. But they really need to rethink this policy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.